~ Birth of Gaiaღ ~

Dragons of Thuban To Ban The Falseness

Galactic Images

Nebula

Galactic Images

Post  Nebula on Fri May 21, 2010 11:27 pm

As 2012 approaches, much has been discussed and said about the Galactic Center, Gaia, our Solar system and the Milky Way in which we reside. So, I'm thinking, how best to learn about something not only through pictures and images but also through visualization. I want to visualize these places where hopefully soon I will visit as a Starhuman. I'm dedicating this thread for images and also information about our Galactic Center on through the Milky Way and far beyond into the Universe. You are welcome to share, contribute and be creative to your fullest potential. We have no limits.

Much love,

Nebula

Last edited by Nebula on Mon May 24, 2010 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
    Nebula

Re: Galactic Images

Post  Nebula on Fri May 21, 2010 11:29 pm

He I (1.43 micron) and K_continuum (2.29 micron) two-color mosaic image

This image is 80" x 80" and was created from only five pointings of the telescope in each filter and consumed just 20 minutes of telescope time. The LGS-AO system allowed the artificial guide star to be positioned at the center of each pointing.
    Nebula

Post  Nebula on Fri May 21, 2010 11:34 pm

Stellar Orbits in the Central Parsec

Caption:
    A 2.2 micron animation of the stellar orbits in the central parsec. Images taken from the years 1995 through 2008 are used to track specific stars orbiting the proposed black hole at the center of the Galaxy. These orbits, and a simple application of Kepler's Laws, provide the best evidence yet for a supermassive black hole, which has a mass of 4 million times the mass of the Sun. Especially important are the stars S0-2, which has an orbital period of only 15.78 years, and S0-16, which comes a mere 90 astronomical units from the black hole.
    Nebula

Post  Nebula on Fri May 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Stellar Orbits in the Central Arcsec

Caption:
    The orbits of stars within the central 1.0 X 1.0 arcseconds of our Galaxy. In the background, the central portion of a diffraction-limited image taken in 2008 is displayed. While every star in this image has been seen to move over the past 14 years, estimates of orbital parameters are only possible for the seven stars that have had significant curvature detected. The annual average positions for these seven stars are plotted as colored dots, which have increasing color saturation with time. Also plotted are the best fitting simultaneous orbital solutions. These orbits provide the best evidence yet for a supermassive black hole, which has a mass of 4 million times the mass of the Sun.
    Nebula

Post  Nebula on Fri May 21, 2010 11:45 pm

Nebula

Post  Nebula on Fri May 21, 2010 11:50 pm

How about something Beautiful from within our universe! I love this image :)

Nebula

Post  Nebula on Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Nebula

Post  Nebula on Fri May 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Infrared Detection of The Supermassive Black Hole

Caption:
    The first detection of infrared (3.8 micron) light from plasma falling onto the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy. The location of the black hole is marked with an arrow. The brightness variations, which occur on timescales as short as 40 minutes, reveal that the plasma is much more energetic than previously believed, showing that violent events occur almost continually.
    Nebula

Post  Nebula on Sat May 22, 2010 12:16 am

The Galactic Center